My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Hi, This is Kailash here.. presently working in Mumbai with an Investment Bank. Earlier I completed my post graduation from IIM Ahmedabad

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Fire at my place

This is the second time I did this to poor Cops and Fire fighters. False fire alarm :)). I stay in one of those apartments in the town which has fire alarm directly connected to the local police station and of course, the fire station. But, how on earth they would know that an Indian would stay here and they need to have greater tolerance level for smoke when it comes to Indian cooking.

I never cooked in my life at least not before coming on exchange to Kenan Flagler Business School in North Carolina, USA. Now if not me, my Mommy would be proud of my cooking skills. So would be my future wife. Also she can never blackmail me to do something for food! In last 90 days I have learnt how to cook Steam Rice (ok! relax simple rice), Rajma, Chana, Aloo, Baked Beans, Few dishes with bread apart from toasted bread and butter. I do not want to be rude but I truly excel in making aloo, I must say. Basically I have realized, it’s the Indian masalas which do the entire trick and you just need to know exactly how much to put. At least now I can make out when I have burnt the dish and not think that Iam not well.

Yeah, coming back to fire, before two months when I shifted to this new apartment here, I did not know about the fire alarm system here. I was cooking as if I did not contribute anything to the environmental pollution. I did not keep any window open as I thought it was too hot outside and AC was on. Suddenly the fire alarm said enough, you have tested my tolerance and time to go off. I thought regular warning as it was in the place where I was staying before this apartment. But to my surprise it did not stop ringing even I stopped cooking and home was more or less free of spicy smoke. I called up residents’ community office and they told fire men would come and stop it. I hung up and thought did I hear it right "fire men".Is it someone who holds this post in the community and only he ccould shut up that screaming fire alarm. She/He better come early before I became deaf. 3 minutes already passed. Alarm was screaming as if its time for it to take revenge on me for testing its tolerance level.

Next, I heard was a heavy bang on my main door. I thought it could be either my neighbors or so called "firemen". I was also wondering if I would need to pay any fine for this fire alarm or would get some warning. I opened the door, saw a huge man standing in front and wearing a dress which I never expected. In India, if you see them coming home, probably everyone would see you with suspicion. I read "Matthew Conners" (true name changed for privacy reasons), State of North Carolina, Police Department on his name tag. He can't be a fireman. My passport is valid, my visa also is valid and most importantly I am not a terrorist. Finally he speaks "Son, is everything ok". I did not know what is he talking about and I replied "yes it is". He next said "Can you vacate the apartment, I need to check the apartment". My instant reply was "why" in a very dim voice. He replied "your fire alarm, I need to check if no fire". Ok now I got him. I thought this guy would not leave me easily because it was a false fire alarm and I am screwed, at least gone down by few dollars. I immediately started calculating my bank balance and exchange rate and my expectations of fine. In the mean time I left my apartment and went outside as he said. I could see from outside he opened the window covers to let home free of smoke.

Next my ears heard another familiar noise, this time it was fire brigade approaching at a distance and hardly it was 5minutes from the time the unholy fire alarm started screaming. Now, I was so sure, that I would be paying a huge amount for this one so that this sin is never repeated. I was kicking myself, wanted to save few dollars by cooking myself and all is going in vain. I would have to eat bad food for rest of my stay in US because I would be poor and they would snatch away my electric heater for cooking and oven and I have to live on bread and that’s also un-toasted :(.

The fire brigade stopped, guys completely dressed up get off the vehicle. I could not see their faces as covered by helmet, looked like more of Astronauts than firefighters. I saw them like this in Hollywood movies or during 9/11 tragedy. One guy came rushing out with a thick pipe in his hand and asked me "Is it fire". I replied no I was just cooking. The Cop came out in the meanwhile and said "Officer nothing, false alarm, everything ok inside, turn off the alarm". He came in the apartment, checked it again, and did something outside my apartment in the fire circuit box. After a minute he succeeded in killing the alarm. Till then I was preparing my emotional speech and how to tell them sorry so that they would not charge me a fortune. But what happened next was completely unexpected. Officer came and said "Sorry Sir, that it happened, but good that there was no fire" and he left. Cop also left with him and they went back in their vehicles making familiar noises. Sir Pheww !!

I did not have to pay any fine for the false alarm and causing cops and firefighters unnecessary discomfort. The system really amazed me, what a value to human life. 5 minutes and they reach your home; probably in many countries they would not reach even everything is turned into ashes. I would love to see this kind of development happening in my country. I do not want to compare but yeah there are lot of takeaways from my stay here and I really appreciate prevailing common sense here and ease of life. Though I can also crib about the form of life here but that would come in a separate post. Feels good to write after a long time though I know I chose a really bad topic! Today was the second time I unintentionally made Cops and Fire Fighters uncomfortable. Next time I surely would keep my camera ready to take pictures when they come. It is quite a scene!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home